Not so very long ago, it was hard to even imagine being able to travel cross-country in a day, let alone traveling across the world. And space travel was the subject of fictional stories. Today, all three of those goals have been realized, and, although you may not know it, it's possible, in part, to parylene.
Conformal Coatings in Aerospace
There is a lot of delicate, highly advanced scientific equipment necessary to get us in the air and keep us there, and even more machinery, all of it expensive and complicated, is required for space travel. From control to power generation to navigation, there are a lot of crucial electronics--all of which needed a way to be defended against the extreme conditions of aerospace travel without having to sacrifice any functionality. That's where conformal coatings come in. Although the earlier coatings were sprayed or brush-applied, it was quickly realized that this delicate machinery needed something more suited to high performance and precision--and parylene entered the scene, hailed as aerospace's favorite coating.
Parylene Saves the Day
How does parylene save the day when it comes to coating for aerospace? Our conformal coating experts have all the details!
- Air bubbles. One of the biggest problems with other coatings in aerospace applications was the possibility of air bubbles, which could interrupt functionality and even circuitry failure. Parylene, however, boasts a vacuum deposition process that eliminates air bubbles, making it safer and more reliable.
- Protection. Parylene is known in countless fields as one of the best conformal coatings, simply because its protection is complete--even on multi-layered objects or surfaces with unusual shapes and crevices. Complete coating means complete protection.
- Stakes. In aerospace travel, the stakes are incredibly high. Even small failures could endanger human lives. That's why aerospace experts turn to parylene, which can protect against everything from moisture to high temperatures to chemicals. This is one case where parylene really does save the day.
Parylene conformal coating offers the best in conformity and versatility in aerospace PCBs and electronics. Because of its ability to uniformly conform and encapsulate any device, you can be assured that the device is fully protected. In addition, parylene offers a range of benefits that directly impact aerospace including:
- Ultra-thin coating
- Good adherence to nearly any surface
- Minimized ionic conduction
- Low dielectric constant
- High resistance to fungi
- Hydrophobic properties
Parylene is suitable for aerospace because it is a military conformal coating and can be attached in small areas. It is also good for addressing UV degradation by offering UV filtration on the coated item. LED assemblies have the opportunity to be protected from malfunction. It is heat resistant yet lightweight and pinhole free.
Because of the environmental extremes common in aerospace electronics, a coating that provides protection against extremes while also being mechanically adhered is necessary, and that's what parylene does. It is strong yet has low permeability and has excellent resistance to temperature extremes.
Overall, parylene offers great benefits for aerospace applications of all kinds and can provide improved performance and an extended lifespan on critical components.